Wednesday, August 5, 2009

The Five-Timers Club

Update (9/9): Make that seven times.

Update (8/14): I've now seen "Star Trek" a sixth time, thanks to the $2 show at BG Theatres.

No, this isn't about the famous "Saturday Night Live" sketch, it's about movies I've seen five or more times in a theater.

This comes up because tonight, after going downtown for screenings of "District 9" and "Bandslam" -- reviews coming in the Aug. 14 edition of your Daily Herald! -- Lisa and I went to Randhurst to see "Star Trek" again. It was her second time, my fifth. I know, rationally, that "Star Trek" is not a great film, but boy, does it make me happy.

The list of films I've seen five or more times in a theater contains some embarrassing titles, to be sure; keep in mind that I wanted to love the "Star Wars" prequels so badly that I convinced myself they were good. On DVD, however, the truth won out, especially on the dreadful "Attack of the Clones." So here are the members of my five-timers club:

9
"Star Wars: Episode I -- The Phantom Menace"

8
"Independence Day"

7
"The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring"
"Star Trek" (2009)

6
"Magnolia"
"Titanic"

5
"The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"
"Star Wars: Episode II -- Attack of the Clones"

I may have also seen "Moulin Rouge!" five times, but I cannot find the documentation to support it. (I have every ticket stub since "Pulp Fiction" in January of 1995 at the now-defunct Ridge Cinemas in Arlington Heights, but I can't find all of them from the Buffalo Grove Theatres for some reason. But I know they're somewhere.)

No comments:

Post a Comment