Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Credit where credit is due

I realized today that my current taste in pop music has been primarily influenced by one person: Sean Tuohey.

In fact, our friend to the north has been highly influential on my music-listening habits ever since I've known him. It was he who introduced me to Evanescence, which in turn led to my exploration of symphonic metal in general. It was he who convinced me Miley Cyrus and Demi Lovato had talent, which led to my current fascination with sugary pop. Heck, it was he who enlightened me to the best beat in the history of hip-hop: Mary J. Blige's "Family Affair," produced by Dr. Dre.

Have I had any sort of influence on my friends? I hope that my opinions on film matter to some of you; I'm pretty sure I single-handedly spread the gospel of "Clerks" to Wheeling High School, and I know I introduced "Donnie Darko" and "Down in the Valley" to more than one person.

In any event, I thought I'd try to make a list of the bands whose CDs I've bought and whose concerts I've seen because of Sean Tuohey, directly or indirectly. I'm sure he'll be able to think of more:

AFI
Aly & AJ
Blige, Mary J.
Blind Guardian
Cyrus, Miley
Daft Punk
Dropkick Murphys
Evanescence
Face to Face
Fuel
Gordon, Nina
Home Grown
Insane Clown Posse
Kamelot
K's Choice
Lacuna Coil
Lavigne, Avril
Lovato, Demi
Mad Season
McKay, Nellie
Meg & Dia
Mighty Blue Kings
MxPx
Nightwish
Osbourne, Kelly
OutKast
Quaye, Finley
Reverend Horton Heat
Sonata Arctica
Symphony X
Veronicas, The
Within Temptation

And there are countless other bands who I've been exposed to because of Mr. Tuohey: Abandoned Pools, The Sounds, Four Star Mary, Voodoo Glow Skulls, The Toasters, Nerf Herder, Smoking Popes, and many, many more.

Thanks to you, Mr. Tuohey, for helping expand my musical tastes beyond Metallica, Megadeth and GN'R.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't see this until today. I don't know if I can take credit for Avril... I remember us being at Tower Records and looking at the CD on the rack. At the time, neither of us owned it yet. Avril was one of the first albums I bought after I moved back to Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remembered another artist I discovered for you: Katy Perry. I was way ahead of the curve on her. I had like 7 demo's on my iPod months before that album dropped and you heard "I Kissed a Girl" in my car while we were driving to Uptown.

    ReplyDelete